Chicken and Kale Burgers
I had two cans of chicken breast on hand this weekend, and to save myself from myself and the extremely strong temptation to throw some mayonnaise in there and call it a day, I decided to get creative.
I added sauteed kale to the mix with organic breadcrumbs, an egg and seasoning, then pan fried the patties for a quick and healthy lunch with lots of flavor.
Chicken & Kale Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
- 2 10-oz. cans chicken breast
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup kale leaves, stems discarded
- 1 Tb worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 Tb lemon juice
*This may be the only recipe you'll ever see from me that does not include adding salt, but I strongly recommend against it -- the chicken is already salty!
- Sautee kale leaves in olive oil until soft. Alternatively, you could steam the kale. Set aside to cool.
- Drain chicken breast, then add to a bowl with egg, breadcrumbs, and kale.
- Use your hands to mix all of the ingredients together - there's really no way around getting in there and getting your hands dirty! A spoon won't cut it.
- Add worcestershire sauce, chili peppers, and lemon juice.
- Mix it all up again, then divide mixture into four sections. Form one burger out of each section, rolling it into a ball and then flattening.
- Fry in a pan prepared with olive oil spray over low heat, flipping once until heated through and golden brown on each side.
- Eat! This would be great on a bun with condiments and extra veggies, but was juuust fine on a plate with spicy ketchup.